Tulip Hill
Tulip Hill is a plantation house that was built between 1755 and 1756 one mile from Galesville in Anne Arundel County in the Province of Maryland. When Tulip Hill was built, Maryland was a colony of the Kingdom of Great Britain. The house sits atop a ridge and overlooks the West River. The house was built by Samuel Galloway for his wife, Ann (Chew) Galloway. They married in 1742.

The land
The land for Tulip Hill originally was patented to Richard Talbot in 1659 as "Poplar Knowl." The house sits on a ridge from which terraces paralleling the river lead down to the meadow.

The house
According to an entry in the builder's account book, all of the bricks used to build the house were made on the site. Between 1787 and 1790, the Georgian style plantation house was expanded with end pavilions to become a five-part house. The site retains its tree-lined entrance lane and terraced garden . The curious gambrel or double-hipped roof is set off by a pediment with a bull's-eye window and dormers on the rear. A well defined cornice and a small white pedimented porch with four columns shading the front door add dignity to the facade. The central block is two stories high and 52 feet (16 m) wide by 42 feet (13 m) deep. Windows are nine-over-nine sashes, with the second floor windows somehwat smaller than the first. The brickwork is laid in Flemish bond. Two unusual fire places brick chimneys, with multiple flues, project through either end of the central portion of the house and tower over the one story wings. The two-story end pavilions and one story hyphens have brickwork in running bond. A spacious hall runs the depth of the house with a large double arch dividing it equally. The front half has a chair rail and corner cupboard while the other half contains the staircase. The hall, while in the middle of the house, is not centered, being offset to the right and lit by the window to the right of the entrance door. The hall narrows at the stair hall, which contains an unusually fine curved walnut staircase. To the right of the hall, in front, is a small reception room with a larger dining room behind, connected by a narrow hall with a service stair. On the left side of the hall are two paneled drawing rooms. The second floor is similarly arranged, except that a small chamber occupies the end of the hall opposite the stairs. The two large eastern bedrooms are paneled. The west wing contained a kitchen, while the east wing contained plantation offices.

Samuel Galloway bought Poplar Knowle in 1755, renaming it "Tulip Hill" after a grove of tulip poplars. The central portion of the house was built in 1755-56, supervised by John Devour. The house resembles "Stenton" in Germantown, Pennsylvania, built by Galloway's friend James Logan. Samuel's son John enlarged the house in 1787-90 by adding the end wings, hyphens and portico. The house remained in the Galloway family until 1866. In 1771, a thirty-nine-year old George Washington "dined and supped" at Tulip Hill twice. One of the young Galloway children is reputed to have ridden his horse up the central staircase.

In 1786, Samual Galloway died and left Tulip Hill to his son, John Galloway. Upon John's death, the house passed to his only child, Mary (Galloway) Maxey. Her husband was Virgil Maxey , the Minister to Belgium under President Martin Van Buren. Mary Maxey left Tulip Hill to her only daughter, Ann Sarah Hughes. In 1886, Hughes sold the house to Henry M. Murray. Murray's wife, Mary H. (Morris) Murray, was a descendent of the builder of the house. The Murrays lived in Tulip Hill for thirty years before selling it to A. du Pont Parker, of Denver, Colorado. Ultimately the house passed on to Mr. and Mrs. Henry H. Flather of Washington, DC, and it was the Flathers who spent a great deal of time and money restoring Tulip Hill and the surrounding grounds to the former level of magnificence. The home is still privately owned. The house is at this time for sale.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com