Tromsø BridgeEdit profile
The Tromsø Bridge (Norwegian: Tromsøbrua) is a cantilever road bridge in the city of Tromsø, Norway. It crosses the strait of Tromsøysundet between Tromsdalen on the mainland and Tromsøya. Construction began in 1958, and the bridge was opened in 1960. At the time of its opening, it was the longest bridge in Northern Europe, with a length of 1036 meters. The 1,036 metres (3,399 ft) long bridge has 58 spans, of which the longest is 80 metres with a maximum clearance to the sea of 38 metres (125 ft). At a cost of 14.5 million NOK, the bridge replaced an inefficient ferry connection between the two sides of the strait, and helped boost the growth and development of Tromsø. Due to severe congestion issues, the mainland connection was later reinforced by the construction of the Tromsøysund Tunnel in the 1990s. Unlike the tunnel, located almost 3 km further north, the Tromsø Bridge leads directly to the city centre of Tromsø.
The Tromsø Bridge was the first cantilever bridge to be built in Norway. Since then, many bridges of this type have been built. The bridge is one of the most important landmarks of Tromsø, and forms part of a motif composed of the Arctic Cathedral, the Tromsdalstinden mountain, and the Tromsø Bridge. In 2000, the Directorate for Cultural Heritage protected the bridge against modifications.