The Triple Bridge (Slovene: Tromostovje) is one of the symbols of Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.History
There is mention of a wooden bridge (called the Old Bridge, Stari most) in this location from 1280, and which had to be built anew in 1657 after a fire. This was replaced in 1842 by a new bridge designed by Giovanni Picco, an Italian architect, named the Hospital Bridge (Špitalski most), officially Franz's Bridge, (Frančev most) in honor of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria.
This stone arch bridge is the central part of the modern bridge. It was extended into the Triple Bridge by the 1929 design of the Slovenian architect Jože Plečnik (1872-1957), who added pedestrian bridges on either side, effectively widening the bridge and preventing it from being a bottleneck. This was completed in 1932. With the conversion of the area into a pedestrian zone in 2008, only limited traffic now uses the central bridge, effectively creating three pedestrian bridges.
- A model of the bridge is displayed at Mini-Europe in Brussels.