Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Edit profile
Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church in New Rochelle in Westchester County, New York was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. It is located at the northwest corner of Huguenot Street (also known as the Boston Post Road) and Division Street. This church represents the body of the majority group of New Rochelle's founding Huguenot French Calvinistic congregation that conformed to the liturgy of the established Church of England in June of 1709. King George III gave Trinity its first charter in 1762. After the Revolutionary War, Trinity became a parish of the Protestant Episcopal Church of America.

The present building is the third church erected by the conformist congregation. It is the immediate successor of a wooden church building erected in 1823 - 1824. It stands on land that was conveyed to the church wardens by Aman Guion in 1743. The cornerstone was laid on August 13, 1862, the church was opened for worship September 13, 1863, and the tower completed November 30, 1864. The church was designed by Richard Upjohn, known for his gothic revival architecture.

A parish house was added on the western side of the church in 1892. Constructed of the same granite and brownstone materials as the church, the structure was designed by architect F.C. Merry, who also designed the New Rochelle Trust building on Main Street.

Huguenot Burying Ground

The church's Huguenot Memorial Cemetery or Huguenot Burying Ground is an historic cemetery that is the resting place of many of the Huguenots who founded New Rochelle, as well as other prominent citizens.