Trinity Chapel
Trinity Chapel in Canterbury Cathedral forms part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The chapel was added by William the Englishman as a shrine for the relics of St. Thomas Becket. The shrine became one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in England.

Thomas Becket
In 1220, Becket's remains were relocated from his first tomb to the finished chapel. As a result of this event, the chapel became a major pilgrimage site, inspiring Geoffrey Chaucer to write The Canterbury Tales in 1387 and with routes (eg from Southwark (Chaucer's route) and the Pilgrim's Way to/from Winchester) converging on the cathedral. Becket's shrine stood until it was destroyed in 1540. This was done on orders from King Henry VIII as vengeance for his ancestor, Henry II. The king also destroyed Becket's bones and ordered that all mention of his name be obliterated. The pavement where the shrine stood in the chapel is today marked by a lighted candle. Modern day archbishops of Canterbury celebrate the Eucharist at this place to commemorate Becket's martyrdom and the translation of his body from his first burial place to this chapel.

The Black Prince
Over time other significant burials took place in this area such as Edward Plantagenet (the Black Prince). He was buried on the south side of the shrine of Thomas Becket behind the quire. His tomb consists of a bronze effigy beneath a tester depicting the Holy Trinity, with his heraldic achievements hung over the tester. The achievements have now been replaced by replicas, though the originals can still be seen nearby, and the tester was restored in 2006.

King Henry IV
Also buried there is King Henry IV. Unsual for a King of England, he was buried not at Westminster Abbey but at Canterbury Cathedral, on the north side of Trinity Chapel as near to the shrine of Thomas Becket as possible. Becket's cult was then at its height, as evidenced in the Canterbury Tales , and Henry was particularly devoted to it (he was anointed at his coronation with oil supposedly given to Becket by the Virgin Mary, which had then passed to Henry's father). Henry was given an alabaster effigy, alabaster being a valuable English export in the 15th century. His body was well embalmed, as a Victorian exhumation some centuries later established

The Crona Tower
The Corona Tower was built at the eastern end of the chapel to contain the relic of the crown of St. Thomas's head which was struck off during his murder.