Trento CathedralEdit profile
Trento Cathedral (Italian: Cattedrale di San Vigilio) is the most important religious edifice in Trento, northern Italy. It was built over a pre-existing 6th century temple devoted to Saint Vigilius (Italian: San Vigilio), patron saint of the city.
Bishop Federico Wanga commissioned the architect Adamo d'Arogno to construct the new Lombard-Romanesque church. Works continued for more than a hundred years, with the Gothic style becoming increasingly evident.
The façade has a large rose window including The Wheel of Fortune. Notable also are the lions supporting the columns of the narthex on the northern side and the twisting columns in the apsidal area.
The interior has a nave and two aisles with a transept. The latter has 14th century frescoes depicting the legend of Saint Julian and the stone statue of the Madonna degli Annegati. The apse of the right transept houses the relics of the local martyrs Sisinius, Marturius and Alexander who died around 397 AD. In the right aisle is the Crucifix Chapel (1682), with a wooden crucifix at the feet of which were promulgated the issues of the Council of Trent, whose sessions were held in the church's presbytery. Painter Ludovico Dorigny also contributed works to the cathedral.