Toward Point

Toward Point is the southern extremity of the Cowal peninsula, near the village of Toward and six miles south of Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland. There has been a lighthouse here since 1812.

Lighthouse

Toward Point Lighthouse was completed in 1812. It was built by Robert Stevenson (1772 - 1850) for the Cumbrae Lighthouse Trust. Two lighthouse keepers' houses were added in the later 1800s. A white building on the foreshore housed the foghorn mechanism, originally a steam engine and then diesel engines. The foghorn was taken out of operation in the 1990s. Today the buildings are a private home and not open to the public.

Footnotes

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com