Torslanda AirportEdit profile
Torslanda Airport — (Swedish: Torslanda Flygplats or Torslanda Flygfält) served the city of Gothenburg, Sweden, as its main airport from 1923 to 1977, when the Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport was opened. After 1977, Torslanda air traffic was assumed by both Gothenburg City Airport (also known as Säve Airport), and Landvetter.
Notably, a historically correct "setting" of Göteborg-Torslanda is available for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
In 1969, an air traffic control tower was built on an adjacent hilltop as replacement for an older tower built in 1938.
Torslanda Airport was closed as an actual transportation facility in 1977.Incidents
The Torslanda airport had been the site of a mishap on 23 December 1967 when a Douglas DC-6B operated by Sterling Airways carrying 55 passengers en route from Stockholm landed 3000 feet beyond the landing threshold.
In a notable 1972 incident, a flight also from Torlsanda en route to Stockholm was hijacked and diverted to Bulltofta airport outside the Swedish city of Malmö. Nine Croatians imprisoned nearby were traded for 500.000 SEK before flying to Madrid, Spain, before being captured by police.Use after the closure
The Control Tower: The 1969 control tower remains (as of 2010) as one of the last artifacts of the airport. Most of the old airport was demolished in 1997, when the former runway paving were mainly removed.
The Blue Hangar: Until 1995, car company Volvo housed its collection of historic vehicles in "The "Blue Hangar" (Den Blå Hangaren), see Torslanda. Now they are located in the Volvo Museum, a few kilometres away.
Amhult: In recent years, the original land from the Torslanda Airport has quickly redeveloped into a residential area known as Amhult, eventually to become a garden village with 900 new homes, a commercial centre, preschool and school.
Runway usage: The former runways have partially been used for car testing by Volvo, for driver training and race car testing, and for model aircraft, until the runways were removed.
Current usage (2010): An area is still used for storing ship containers. A golf course has been built over parts of the former runways. The road no 155 to Öckerö went a detour around the north-south runways. Around 1997 the road was rebuilt to go straight across the former runway.