Toronto Sun BuildingEdit profile
The Toronto Sun Building, at 333 King Street East at Sherbourne, is home to one of Toronto's daily English language newspapers, the Toronto Sun. Built in 1975, the most notable feature of the structure is the large mural on the south side. The mural is 55 meters wide and 7.6 meters high, covering a long brick wall along King Street. It was done in 1993 for the Sun by artist John Hood to celebrate the bicentennial of the founding of York. It depicts two hundred years of historic events in the city.
In 2010, the building was sold to First Gulf. Though the Toronto Sun remains in the building as a tenant under a ten year lease, the newspaper's operations have been consolidated onto the second floor of the six floor building and the printing presses which were located along the south end of the complex have been removed. The rest of the building is to be rented out to other commercial tenants.
From 1805 to 1846 the site was the home of the York Hotel. The hotel and tavern was built for John Jordan and later operated by Jane Jordan until 1846. The Legislature of Upper Canada sat here for one sitting in 1813.