Toronto General Hospital
The Toronto General Hospital ( TGH), is a part of the University Health Network, and a major teaching hospital in downtown Toronto, Ontario. It is located in the Discovery District, directly north of the Hospital for Sick Children, across Gerrard Street West, and east of Princess Margaret Hospital and Mount Sinai Hospital, across University Avenue. They are steps from Queen's Park and the Queen's Park subway station. The emergency department now treats 28,065 persons each year, while the hospital also houses the major transplantation service for Ontario, performing heart, lung, kidney, liver, pancreas and small intestine, amongst others, for patients referred from all over Canada. In doing this, the TGH teaches resident physicians, nurses, and technicians, and conducts research through the Toronto General Research Institute. Currently, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, as a member of the Canadian Royal Family, is patron of the hospital.

History
The hospital started as a small shed and was used as a military hospital during the War of 1812, after which it was founded as a permanent institution – York General Hospital – in 1829, at Simcoe and King Streets. In 1855 a new home for the hospital was built at the Simcoe and King Streets site using a design by architect William Hay. In 1913, the hospital moved to its current location, since expanding and upgrading over the ensuing years. The 1913 structure, previously called the College Wing, was eventually abandoned by the hospital, to become the home of the MaRS Discovery District after a new wing for the TGH was completed and opened in 2002.

Additional images

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    dbqd toronto on toronto general hospital
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com