Tolquhon CastleEdit profile
Tolquhon Castle (pronounced: "toh-hon", and sometimes spelt 'Tolquhoun') is located in Aberdeenshire, about 20 miles northwest of Aberdeen. The current castle was built by William Forbes from 1584- 1589 to replace an earlier towerhouse known as Preston's Tower, which is still partly intact, forming the left-hand tower when viewed from in front of the gatehouse (at the northern corner). The castle features unusual gun ports in the towers adjacent to the entrance, a design which was subsequently used in Dean Castle. Also unusual is the stone tilework in the main hall.