Thorrington is a village and civil parish in the Tendring district of Essex, England. It lies 5 km east of Wivenhoe and 3 km north of Brightlingsea. The striking medieval flint church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene, and the patrons of the church are St John's College, Cambridge. On the west side, the Tenpenny Brook forms the parish boundary between Thorrington and Alresford. At the point where the brook flows into the Alresford Creek (a branch of the Colne Estuary) stands Thorrington Mill. This is a tide mill built in 1831 and now a Grade II* listed building. The east and northern boundaries of the parish are bounded by the Saltwater Brook. Where the Saltwater Brook flows into Flag Creek (formerly Borefleet Creeek or Byrflytt) is the former site of another Tidal Mill. The Colchester to Clacton railway line passes just to the north of the village. Thorrington's station was opened in 1867, and closed in 1957. Great Bentley station is now the closest rail station with parking facilities, located around 2 miles north-east of the village. Thorrington is also mentioned in the Domesday Book.