Thoresby HallEdit profile
Thoresby Hall is one of the Dukeries, four country houses and estates in north Nottinghamshire all occupied by dukes at one time in their history. The Pierrepont family acquired the Thoresby estate in 1633 and built the first grand house, attributed to Talman, in about 1670. It was destroyed by fire in 1745. Twenty years later ] in 1767”“1772 built a new house on the same site and when it was pulled down after one hundred years Anthony Salvin put up the present house 500m to the north between 1868”“1874. The building measures 55 metres on its east and south fronts and 48 metres on its west front. The impressive Great Hall, with a pseudo minstrels' gallery at the west end, is 19 metres long and 14 metres high. In the 20th century the house was threatened by subsidence caused by coal mining. To minimise the damage the buildings were sold in 1979 to the National Coal Board which chose to sell it on the open market ten years later. After passing through a number of owners it was acquired by Warner Leisure Hotels which opened it as an hotel in 2000. The core collection of contents was kept by the family and is used to furnish a new house nearby, while the remainder was sold at auction by Sotheby's in 1989. The 8400 sq m. original house had a new bedroom wing added before opening as a 200-room country house hotel with spa facilities. The Estate is still in the hands of the family with only a few acres of immediate grounds and gardens owned by the hotel, although the family permits access along some footpaths close to the house. Past residents include the Dukes of Kingston and the Earls Manvers. Birthplace of Lady Mary Pierrepont wife of Edward Wortley Montagu.