Thomas Moran House
Thomas Moran House was the East Hampton, New York home of Thomas Moran, 1837”“1926, an American painter of the Hudson River School, known for his landscape paintings in the American West. Moran's watercolor paintings from the 1871 first survey of Yellowstone are credited with leading to the creation of the first National Park; his landscape paintings of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and others have hung in the U.S. Capitol building and in the Oval Office of the White House. The Thomas Moran House was constructed in 1884. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965. The house is located at 229 Main Street in East Hampton. It is closed to the public and is currently under restoration. The house is quite large, with two living areas, and extensive grounds. It is located across the street from the Town Pond. The main room in the house is Thomas Moran's studio. It is a large and airy room with 20 foot ceilings where Moran completed many of his works. Moran entertained many visitors and fellow artists in his home, including J. Thompson and Robert Wood. The house was Moran's primary residence from 1884 until his death in 1926. He and his wife, Scottish born Mary Nimmo Moran (1842”“99), an etcher and landscape painter, are buried across the street in the South Side Cemetery by the East Hampton Town Pond. The house remained privately owned until 2004 when its owner Elizabeth Lamb died and left it to the owners of Guild Hall (East Hampton's cultural center dedicated in 1931 which is a couple blocks from the Moran House). The house had fallen into considerable disrepair. In June 2008 the house was transferred to the Thomas Moran Trust so that it can specifically raise funds to restore the structure.