Thomas L. Kane Memorial ChapelEdit profile
The Thomas L. Kane Memorial Chapel is a historic church located in Kane, Pennsylvania in McKean County. The small, stone Gothic Revival chapel was constructed from 1876 to 1878 and was dedicated to the American Civil War General Thomas L. Kane, a founder of Kane. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 1978.History
The church was designed by Henry J. Taylor of Philadelphia and was the first Presbyterian church in McKean County. The church was dedicated to General Kane, who had donated the land for the church, and was situated such that the congregation would be facing in the direction of Jerusalem. Kane died in 1883 and, at his request, was interred outside the church, between the two front entrances.
The church was purchased by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1970, to function as a memorial to Kane, who was a supporter of the Mormons and had acted as a mediator between the Mormons and the federal government. The church also functions as a branch of the Family History Library. A replica of the statue of Kane in the Utah State Capitol was placed outside the church.Sources
- O'Malley, Michael J (1977). "Thomas L. Kane Memorial Chapel" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory — Nomination Form. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. https://www.dot7.state.pa.us/ce_imagery/phmc_scans/H000609_01H.pdf. Retrieved May 23, 2011.