Theodore Roosevelt Island
Theodore Roosevelt Island, formerly known as My Lord's Island, Barbadoes Island, Mason's Island, Analostan Island, and Anacostine Island , is a 88.5-acre (358,000 m 2) island and a national memorial located in the Potomac River in Washington, D.C.. The island is maintained by the National Park Service as part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. The land is generally maintained as a natural park, with a paved nature walkway and a memorial plaza featuring a statue of Roosevelt. No cars or bicycles are permitted on the island, which is reached by a footbridge from Arlington, Virginia, on the western bank of the Potomac. A small island named " Little Island" lies just off the southern tip; the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts sits across the Potomac to the east. The island was given to the American people by the Theodore Roosevelt Association in memory of the 26th U.S. president, Theodore Roosevelt.

History
The Nacotchtank Indians, formerly of what is now Anacostia, temporarily moved to the island in 1668, giving its first recorded name, "Anacostine." The island was patented in 1682 as Anacostine Island by Captain Randolph Brandt, who left the island to his daughter Margaret Hammersley, upon his death in 1698 or 1699. The island was acquired by George Mason in 1724. John Mason, the son of George Mason, inherited the Island in 1792 and owned it until 1833. John Mason built a mansion and gardens there in the early 19th century. The Masons left the island in 1831 when a causeway stagnated the water. Aside from a brief period in the Civil War when Union troops were stationed there, the island has been uninhabited since the Masons left. Locals continued to call it "Mason's Island" until the memorial was built there. Around 1906, a fire on the island extensively damaged the mansion. Today, only part of the mansion's foundation remains. From 1913 to 1931, the island was owned by the Washington Gas Light Company, which allowed vegetation to grow unchecked on the island.

National park and memorial
The Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Association purchased the island from the gas company in 1931, with the intention of erecting a memorial honoring Roosevelt. Congress authorized the memorial on May 21, 1932. Congress appropriated funds for the memorial in 1960 which was dedicated October 27, 1967. Designed by Eric Gugler, the memorial includes a 17-foot (5 m) statue by sculptor Paul Manship, four large stone monoliths with some of Roosevelt's more famous quotations, and two large fountains. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the national memorial is listed on the National Register of Historic Places; the listing first appeared on October 15, 1966.

Access
A parking lot sits near the footbridge in Virginia, accessible only from the northbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway. The lot sits just north of the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge, which crosses but does not allow access to the island. The closest Washington Metro station to the island is the Rosslyn station.


Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 11 media and uploaded a media file
    Theodore Roosevelt Statue by Paul Manship
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com