Thedden Grange

Coordinates: 51°08′53″N 0°01′23″W / 51.148°N 0.023°W / 51.148; -0.023

Thedden Grange is a privately owned country house and estate in the civil parish of Bentworth, on the outskirts of Alton, Hampshire, England. Since renovation in the mid-1970s the original house, outbuildings and land have been divided into seven separate properties plus additional flats.

The house and grounds have been used as locations in a number of films and television programmes.

History

Thedden has a long history going back to at least the 15th century, when it’s recorded that William Estone paid rent for lands at the manor. In the nineteenth century Thedden Grange was owned by industrialist John Wood. During the Second World War the house was used as a prisoner of war camp (number 294).

External Websites
  • Flickr Thedden Grange Photo Group
  • Independent interview with Thedden residents, from 16 June 1996
  • Richard Miller Ceramics visit Thedden
  • Gazetteer entry for Alton from 1870 with mention of Thedden Grange

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com