The Wenlock ArmsEdit profile
The Wenlock Arms is a public house in London which reopened on Friday 14 January 1994. The pub is located half way between Old Street and Angel Islington just off the City Road and the City Road Basin and Wenlock Basin on the Regent's Canal. The pub has won awards for the quality and range of its cask ales.History
The Wenlock Arms first opened for business in 1836 and was operated by the nearby Wenlock Brewery as a "brewery tap".
John Lane (1808–1873) owned and ran the Wenlock Brewery from 1840 until his death, initially as "Lane & Bowden" (the 1842 Post Office Directory mentions “LANE & BOWDEN, Ale Brewers, 9 Wenlock Road”). John's brother-in-law, John Mitchell (1813–1868), was brewery foreman in 1851 (mentioned in the census). Various other members of the Mitchell family worked at the brewery from time to time. These included John Mitchell's older brother Thomas (mentioned in the census as being foreman at the brewery in 1871), another John Mitchell (a cousin; c. 1820–1849), as well as at least three of John Lane's brothers. Yet another John Mitchell, John Hoffe Mitchell, was joint executor of John Lane's will.
In 1873, ownership passed to John Lane's youngest son, Robert George. Robert, after brewing in Alton, Hampshire, and marrying Parisienne Louise Marie Julienne Isabel Jean dit Saussay in 1876, died of pneumonia in 1880, aged only 31. After this the brewery became the property of one Richard Alfred Glover, before being taken over by Glover Bell & Co in 1887.
John Lane, his wife Eliza Beaven (Mitchell), four of their children - including Robert George and another son Frederick (who committed suicide by shooting himself in 1874) - are buried in Abney Park Cemetery. Buried next to them are members of the Mitchell family.
When the New London Brewery, of Lambeth, London, went into voluntary liquidation on 13 January 1925, their licensed houses were bought by the Wenlock Brewery.
Wenlock Fireside Ale was recreated starting from 1 November 1999 by the Museum Brewery, Burton, and was available throughout the year 2000.Planned sale and possible demolition
In September 2010, news emerged that the Wenlock Arms was planned to be demolished, and in response a campaign to save the pub was started.Building and interior
The pub building, built in 1835, is a survivor of the wartime bombing of the area, and retains a traditional pub interior.Cask ale
The Wenlock Arms is a renowned cask ale public house in London, and has been named North London Pub of the Year by the local CAMRA branch on four occasions since it reopened in 1994.Cultural references
"Terror at Wenlock Brewery" was published in 1998 by Stephen Sadler, and tells of The Blitz.
David Beckham used to join his late grandad for drinks at the Wenlock Arms - even after he became a superstar.
The Wenlock Arms features in the opening titles of the television show Al Murray's Compete for the Meat.