The Village Green (Baldwin Hills Village)Edit profile
Baldwin Hills Village, now known as The Village Green, is a park-like residential community located on a nearly 68-acre site along the southwest edge of the city of Los Angeles. It was constructed in 1941-42. Between 1973 and 1978, Baldwin Hills Village was converted from rental units to condominiums and renamed The Village Green. In 2001 The Village Green became a National Historic Landmark.
Reginald Johnson (1882–1952), prominent Los Angeles architect, working in association with the firm of Lewis Wilson, Edwin Merrill, and Robert Alexander, was the project architect, while Clarence Stein (1882–1975), already a noted author, planner, and architect, was prominently credited as consulting architect. The site plan is considered the best and most fully developed example of Clarence Stein's "Radburn Idea" of neighborhood community planning. The buildings and the site plan are largely unchanged, and constitute one of the finest examples of progressive idealism directed toward providing high quality urban housing. Fred Barlow, Jr. served as landscape architect on the project.