The Times Square BuildingEdit profile
For other New York Times Buildings see: New York Times Building (disambiguation) The Times Square Building, formerly known as The New York Times Building, is an 18-story ( 81 m 267 ft ) building at 229 West 43rd Street in Times Square, that was the headquarters of the New York Times from 1913 through 2007. The building was built in three stages between 1912 and 1937. The building, originally designed by Mortimer J. Fox, of the firm Buchman & Fox, was originally called the New York Times Annex because it was designed to supplement the One Times Square Times Tower built in 1905 at Broadway and 42nd Street (which gives Times Square its name). In 1922 the Ludlow & Peabody designed a 100-foot (30 m) extension on the west side as well as a five-story setback attic level in the style of the French Renaissance including the Mansard roofs In 1930-32 Albert Kahn designed a further expansion to the west including a second lobby and roof-top studio. Further expansions included a 12-story New York Times North building adjoining it to the north on 44th Street. The Times sold the building in 2004 to Tishman Speyer for $175 million. Tishman sold it to Africa Israel in 2007 for $525 million. Africa Israel is in the midst of a $175 million renovation including adding a new sign on the top and replacing a digital clock in place since 1962 with an analog version. Africa officially calls it "The Times Square Building." The basement now houses Discovery TSX.