The Stevens-Coolidge Place 91 acres (368,000 m²), formerly known as Ashdale Farm, is a garden and historic home located at 139 Andover Street in North Andover, Massachusetts. Helen Stevens Coolidge's family first acquired the farm in 1729, and from 1914-1962 it was her summer home with husband John Gardner Coolidge, diplomat, descendant of Thomas Jefferson, and nephew of Isabella Stewart Gardner. It is now a nonprofit museum operated by The Trustees of Reservations. Between 1914 and 1918, architect Joseph Everett Chandler remodeled two late-Federal period farmhouses to form today's house. Chandler also enhanced the design of the landscape, which eventually included a perennial garden, a kitchen and cut flower garden, a rose garden, a French potager garden with a brick serpentine wall, and a greenhouse complex. The house's collections include Asian artifacts including Chinese porcelain, American furniture, and European decorative arts.

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com