The SalisburyEdit profile
The Salisbury is a Grade II* listed pub on Grand Parade in Harringay, north London.
The Salisbury was built and designed by John Cathles Hill, founder of The London Brick Company. The pub was opened in 1899 with W.A. Cathles, a cousin of Hill, as the manager. Its construction cost of £30,000 is the equivalent of approximately £7 million at 2008 values. It caused something of a stir when it opened, being described by the trade journal, The Licensed Victualler and Catering Trades' Journal in the most glowing terms:
Sadly by the late 20th century the pub had become very dilapidated and had developed a reputation as a place you didn't go if you liked your teeth. This however, may have been its saving grace as much of its original features have been retained. In 2003 it was sympathetically restored under the guidance of Papa Architects. In 2008, beer and architecture experts Geoff Brandwood and Jane Jephcote, selected The Salisbury as one of London's top ten heritage pubs in their book, London Heritage Pubs - An Inside Story.
The exterior is classified as French Renaissance style with shaped gables, ogee domed cupolas and large pedimented dormers. It is constructed of red brick with stone bands and dressings. Its slated mansard roof has a high central tower topped with a wrought-iron crown. The pub has three stories and attic. Polished black larvikite Corinthian pilasters support the fascia. The entrances have ornate wrought-iron screens above imposts, with elaborately tiled lobbies and mosaic floors. The pub's interior was described by the architectural historian Mark Girouard as a magnificently elaborate and complete interior. On the first floor there is a large room at the front which was in the past used as a restaurant and concert room. It has an elaborate, compartmented ceiling with ornate fibrous plasterwork, all by the Mural Decoration Company. There is also notable engraved glass by Cakebread & Robey in the doors separating off the residential part of the building. This floor was previously used as a church, but has recently been renovated into an expansive luxury apartment. The bar area has a compartmented ceiling with cast-iron columns. There is a large curved wooden bar with a stone trough at its base. This bar is a complete rectangle serving all parts of the huge space. The saloon and public bars are divided by an wooden arched screen containing glass engraved with Art Nouveau motifs. At the rear is the former billiard room, now a restaurant, with top-lit roof glass painted with a creeping vine motif. There are many elaborate engraved mirrors, some stained-glass windows and fire surrounds.
The Salisbury on film
The level of original detailing in the pub has led to The Salisbury's interior being chosen as a location for a number of films:
- Chaplin , 1992, Dir Richard Attenborough
- The Long Good Friday , 1980, Dir John Mackenzie
- Spider (film) , 2002, Dir David Cronenberg
- Architectural detail on the Salisbury
Part of a series on Harringay History Overview Prehistory”“1750 1750”“1880 1880”“present Harringay Arena Harringay Stadium Lost cinemas Locations Finsbury Park Railway Fields The Salisbury St Paul's Church Harringay Station Harringay Green Lanes Station Other Harringay Online People from Harringay “ The position it occupies with regard to other "houses" is unique, because of its combination of several distinct establishments. In this it is a paradox, as the hotel, restaurant and public house which it comprises are distinct, but they are nevertheless equally one. The hotel is one of the finest which exists at the present day; it is one also which will take a genius to eclipse.....and the district (in which it was built) has been turned into one of London's finest suburbs. ”