The Old 76 HouseEdit profile
The '76 House is one of America's oldest taverns. It is located on 110 Main St, Tappan, New York, just past the village green near the light at the center of town. Casparus Mabie, a cousin of the Loyalist Maybees, built the '76 House, then known as "Mabie's Inn", as the home of Yoast Mabie in 1755. The Orangetown Resolutions were adopted there on July 4th, 1774, exactly two years prior to the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. The '76 House was often used during the American Revolutionary War. Through its long use as a meeting place for patriots, the '76 House established itself as safe ground for Americans in the midst of the revolution, and also served as the "prison" of the Revolution's most notorious spy (as denoted by the site's historical marker), Major John André. The '76 House, although often referred to as "André's Prison", was not a real prison, nor was it used as a place of incarceration for anyone before or since. In 1800, the '76 House became a tavern and has been a place of shelter for tired travelers for more than two hundred years. It accommodated, on various occasions, every general of the west wing of the Continental Army, including Commander-in-Chief General George Washington who, with his chief provisioner Samuel Fraunces, owner of Fraunces Tavern in New York City, dined in the '76 House. It is a contributing property to the Tappan Historic District.