The Entrance BridgeEdit profile
The Entrance Bridge joins the suburbs of The Entrance and The Entrance North on the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia, passing over The Entrance Channel. The road forms part of Wilfred Barret Drive. The Entrance Bridge was originally a wooden single lane bridge with bypass bays at intervalas that allowed traffic travelling in the opposite direction to pass. It was opened in 1934. The original bridge was adequate until 1965 as it only served traffic travelling as far as The Entrance North. Around 1955, the Number 11 bus operated by Red Bus Services crashed through a wooden retaining wall and landed in The Entrance Channel after its brakes failed while turning onto The Entrance Bridge. The driver and three passengers were uninjured, although the boat that the bus landed on was heavily damaged. In 1965, Wilfred Barret Drive was opened by the Deputy Premier of New South Wales, the Hon. Pat Hills. The road was named after Counciller Wilfred Barret who was a member of the first Wyong Shire Council. The road continues to be an important link between The Entrance and Toukley, passing through Wyrrabalong National Park. By the end of 1965 the bridge was dangerous and too costly to maintain. The traffic flow over the old bridge at The Entrance increased to such an extent the structure was under constant repair. Work began on the current two lane, concrete structure on 17 July 1967 after a successful tender by Transbridge Pty Ltd. The bridge was opened to traffic on 20 December 1968 and officially opened by the Premier, the Hon. Robert Askin on 18 April 1969.