The BrinkerhoffEdit profile
The Brinkerhoff is a vacation lodge in Grand Teton National Park on the shore of Jackson Lake. It is the last remaining example of a forest lease vacation lodge in the park. The log house and caretaker's lodge were designed by architect Jan Wilking of Casper, Wyoming and were built in 1946 in what was then U.S. Forest Service land for the Brinkerhoff family. After the creation of Grand Teton National Park, the National Park Service acquired the property and used it for VIP housing. Among the guests at the Brinkerhof were John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon. The lodge is also notable as a post-war adaptation of the rustic style of architecture. The interior is an intact example of this transitional style. The National Park Service web site includes this paragraph from John Daugherty's A Place Called Jackson Hole: A Historic Resource Study of Grand Teton National Park: The most notable residence initially under a Forest Service lease is the Brinkerhoff, located on Jackson Lake near Catholic Bay. The Forest Service originally issued a lease for a summer residence to Ben Sheffield in 1930. After Sheffield's home burned in the 1940s, Zachery K. Brinkerhoff and Z. K. Brinkerhoff Jr., purchased the permit in 1947 from R. E. McConaughy. The Brinkerhoffs owned Brinkerhoff Drilling, an oil development company. Jan Wilking, a Casper architect, designed an elaborate log residence for the Brinkerhoffs, much grander than most summer cottages. Scotty Slotten and four log craftsmen of Swedish descent from the Wind River Valley constructed the building. Thomas Molesworth of Cody, Wyoming, made the lodge's rustic furnishings. The fireplace consists of rock collected in the Wind River Canyon. The Petter Iron and Ornamental Works of Dallas manufactured the fireplace screens and hardware. In 1955, the Brinkerhoffs sold the lodge and permit to the National Park Service. Today the lodge is used as a retreat for dignitaries.