The Blue Mosque of TabrizEdit profile
The Blue Mosque (Persian: مسجد کبود - Masjed-e Kabūd; Azerbaijani: گؤی مسجید) is a famous historic mosque in Tabrīz, Iran. The mosque and some other public buildings were constructed in 1465 upon the order of Jahan Shah, the ruler of Kara Koyunlu.
The mosque was severely damaged in an earthquake in 1779, leaving only the entrance iwan. Reconstruction began in 1973 by the late Reza Memaran Benam under the supervision of Iranian Ministry of Culture. However, the tiling is still incompelete.History
The Blue mosque of Tabriz was built upon the order of Jahan Shah the ruler of Kara Koyunlu dynasty which made Tabriz the capital of his Kingdom. His Kingdom covered major parts of modern Iran, Azerbaijan, and Turkey. He was killed with Uzun Hassan (ruler of Ak Koyunlu) and buried on the southern part of the mosque. It is believed that the mosque construction is a monument for remembrance of victories of Jahan Shah. This is why the Al-fath, verses of Quran, is written around the entrance of the mosque.
The complex was completed under the supervision of Aziz-e-Din-Qapuchi in 1465 A.D. The original complex covered other complexes (including school, public bath and library), all of which disappeared during an earthquake in 1779 and only parts of the mosque have survived.
The mausoleum was built in the southern section of the mosque and is entirely covered with high marble slabs on which verses from Quran are engraved in Thulth script on a background of fine arabesques. The roof of the mausoleum and the main dome chamber of the mosque collapsed during an earthquake in 1779 A.D. and was rebuilt in 1973 thanks to the efforts of Reza Memaran Benam (a famous architect from Tabriz) under the supervision of the national organization for preservation of ancient monuments.Calligraphy
The diverse Kufic, and Thulth scripts, the exquisite arabesque patterns, and the admirable choramatic compositions of these facades, which are truly stupendous, were created by Nematollah-ben-Mohammad-ol-Bavab, the famous calligraphist. The walls (inside & outside) had been covered with mosaic tiles.Photo gallery