The AlgonquinEdit profile
The Fairmont Algonquin is a coastal resort hotel in the Tudor style, located in Canada's first seaside resort town, St. Andrews, New Brunswick. It was built in 1889 by the St. Andrews Land Company, established in 1883 by wealthy American businessmen. The impressive four-storey half-timbered structure with its castle-like facade and 80 guest rooms, each with its own fireplace and water closet, officially opened in June 1889 - an event celebrated by distinguished guests from Canada and the United States. The Loyalist residents of St. Andrews quickly seized upon the summer tourism draw that the hotel was creating among residents of humid inland cities of North America. One of The Algonquin's more famous attractions was its saltwater baths. Saltwater was pumped from Passamaquoddy Bay to the hotel atop the hill overlooking St. Andrews and held in water tanks in the hotel attic. Guests used bathtubs designed with four taps, two for fresh water and two for saltwater. In addition to the saltwater baths, the clean humidity-free air offered by the Bay of Fundy, along with the local "Samson Spring" were believed to offer invigorating healing properties to guests. Elegant surroundings, coupled with advertising proclaiming "No hay fever here" and "A general air of restfulness" attracted many wealthy tourists, some of whom established elaborate summer "cottages" in the town of St. Andrews and its surrounding countryside. The New Brunswick Railway operated the rail line serving St. Andrews. One of the major private shareholders of the NBR was also the first president of the CPR (1881”“1888, George Stephen. Stephen started the process which would see CPR purchase the NBR, as well as build a line across Maine from southern Quebec to connect with the rail network - what would be known as the International Railway of Maine. In 1888, Stephen retired and was replaced by William Cornelius Van Horne, who on July 1, 1890, oversaw the Canadian Pacific Railway lease the NBR for 990 years. That summer, Van Horne also visited St. Andrews, staying in its famous resort hotel. Van Horne obviously enjoyed his stay away from the heat and humidity of Montreal (prior to air conditioning), as he purchased nearby Minister's Island and soon began construction of his famous "Covenhoven" estate, which still stands today. Van Horne retired from the presidency in 1899, opting to spend more time at his Covenhoven estate. In 1903, the Canadian Pacific Railway Company purchased The Algonquin and built world-class golf courses as well as bringing the hotel into what was then the most-renowned hotel chain in the world. A 1902 CPR promotional brochure describes The Algonquin as follows: "an incomparable resting-place and retreat from the cares of business and the heat and dust and bustle of the city" Under CPR ownership, the resort flourished with numerous famous guests staying under its roof during the 20th century. As the vast majority of guests arrived at St. Andrews by passenger train, CPR built a large transfer station at the junction between the St. Andrews line and the Saint John-Montreal main line in McAdam. This station also included a large 30-room hotel on its second floor, largely built to service the patrons of the St. Andrews resort. In 1970, CPR sold The Algonquin to local interests. It was then leased by the Government of New Brunswick in 1973. The property, along with adjacent golf courses and private beach at Katy's Cove was purchased entirely by the provincial government in 1984. Throughout this period of change in ownership of the property, the resort was continuously contracted to operate under and be marketed by Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts, therefore the general public didn't see any change in the impecabble delivery of service provided by CPR employees. In 1999, CPR purchased Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. In 2001, Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts were consolidated under the Fairmont name. Later that year in October 2001, Canadian Pacific Limited spun off its subsidiaries, including Fairmont Hotels and Resorts into individually controlled companies. Under the stewardship of its current owner, the Government of New Brunswick, and its current operator, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, The Algonquin continues to offer a premier vacation experience in one of Canada's most historic seaside resort towns. The hotel has witnessed guests ranging from heads of state and royalty such as Presidents of the United States Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson to HRH Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, as well as Sir John A. Macdonald and virtually every Prime Minister of Canada since Confederation. Many celebrity entertainers and athletes have also graced the doors of The Algonquin over the years. The town of St. Andrews and surrounding region of Charlotte County offers whale-watching, hiking, golfing, biking, and exploring local heritage. The Algonquin hotel is also alleged to be haunted.