Théâtre de la VilleEdit profile
The Théâtre de la Ville is one of the two theatres built in the 19th century by Baron Haussmann at Place du Châtelet, Paris; the other being the Théâtre du Châtelet. It is located at 2, place du Châtelet in the 4th arrondissement.
In the past the theatre bore the names Théâtre Lyrique, Théâtre des Nations, and Théâtre Sarah Bernhardt.History
The theatre was designed by the architect Gabriel Davioud for Baron Haussmann between 1860 and 1862. It was burnt down in May 1871 during recapturing of Paris by Versailles forces at the end of Paris Commune, but it was rebuilt in 1874 on the same plans.
The theatre has been known at different times under the names Théâtre Lyrique and Théâtre des Nations (since 1874), before taking its name (in 1899) after the renowned actress Sarah Bernhardt, who produced there from 1899 for nearly two decades.
During the German occupation the theatre reverted to the name Théâtre des Nations, because of Bernhardt's Jewish ancestry.Contemporary
Since the late 70's, the institution produces a good quantity of dance shows being considered as a real international achievement in the field of contemporary dance. For example, the Théâtre de la Ville revealed and promoted famous choreographers like Pina Bausch, Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Jan Fabre, Sankai Juku, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Merce Cunningham or Carolyn Carlson amongst others.