Texas Federation of Women's Clubs HeadquartersEdit profile
The Texas Federation of Women's Clubs Headquarters, now referred to as simply "The Mansion," is a Georgian Revival mansion located on the southwest corner of 24th Street and San Gabriel Street in Austin, Texas, United States. The building was completed in 1931 to be the headquarters for the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, with assistance from local philanthropist Clara Driscoll. It was designed by Dallas architect Henry Coke Knight.
The building sits adjacent to the historic Neill-Cochran House (1855) and is a prominent feature of the Judge's Hill neighborhood, to the west of the University of Texas.
The Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 24, 1985. It is one of the best remaining examples of Georgian Revival architecture in Texas. Today it is mostly used to host weddings and receptions, though every Thursday night since 1999 the Austin Swing Syndicate holds a swing dance on the 4,000 sq ft (370 m2) sprung polished oak floors of the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs Headquarters.Texas Historical Commission Marker Text
Dedicated to the pursuit of education and humanitarian programs, the Texas Federation of Women's clubs was founded in 1897. The goal of a permanent state headquarters was realized with the construction of this building in the early 1930s. Designed by prominent Dallas architect Henry Coke Knight (1896-1966), it is one of the best examples of Georgian revival architecture in Texas and features a dominant central two-story portico and fine detailing. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986