Tenantry ColumnEdit profile
The Tenantry Column is a monument to the south of Alnwick town centre, in Northumberland, England.
The Doric column is 83 feet (25 m) tall and topped by the Percy Lion, symbol of the Percy family. It was designed by the Newcastle architect David Stephenson and erected as thanks to the second Duke of Northumberland, by tenants of the Duke in 1816, following a reduction by the Duke in their rents. This is some 24 years before Nelson's Column was erected.
Buried in a cavity in the foundations is the regimental roll of the late Percy Tenantry volunteers, written on vellum and sealed in a glass tube.