Taylors Falls Public LibraryEdit profile
The Taylors Falls Public Library, located at 417 Bench Street in Taylors Falls in the U.S. state of Minnesota was built by John Jacob Spengler as a tailor shop in 1854; he sewed uniforms for Union Soldiers in the Civil War, while he and his family lived in the back room of the building. The one-story two-room building features a barrel-vault ceiling in the front room and a pressed tin ceiling in the back room. Other architectural elements include Victorian Gothic pendants, spindles, and quatro-foils in an Eastlake style. In 1887 the building was sold to the Taylors Falls Library Association for use as a library. That use continues today; in 2007 the library received a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which seeks to provide information technology to residents of rural communities.