Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow) LightEdit profile
Tarrytown Light, also known as Kingsland Point Light and Sleep Hollow Light is a sparkplug lighthouse that is part of a County Park for Westchester County, New York. It is open to the public.
It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, reference #79001649.
The construction of the Tappan Zee Bridge made the light obsolete.Chronology
- 1883, October 1: Light was first lit with Jacob Ackerman as the first keeper.
- 1957: Light was automated; its flashing red light was reduced from 7000 to1500 candle power.
- 1958: Building of the Tappan Zee Bridge made the lighthouse obsolete.
- 1961: The light was decommissioned.
- 1974: Westchester County acquired the lighthouse.
- 1979: Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Late 1970s: The footbridge connecting the shore to the tower was built. Over time, landfills had filled in the shoreline within feet of the tower.
- 2002: Occasional tours of the lighthouse are available from the Westchester County Department of Parks