Tarragona Amphitheatre
Tarragona Amphitheatre is a Roman amphitheatre in the city of Tarragona, in the Catalonia region of north-east Spain. It was built in the 2nd century AD, sited close to the forum of this provincial capital. The amphitheatre could house up to 15,000 spectators, and measured 130 x 102 m.

History
It was built in the late 2nd century AD over a funerary area. There are remains of a large inscription dating to the reign of Elagabalus (3rd century AD) and located in the podium. In 259, during the persecutions against the Christian ordere by Emperor Valerian, here were burnt alive the city's bishop, Fructuous, and his deacons, Augurius and Eulogius. After Christianity became the official religion of the empire, the amphitheatre lost its original functions. The following years part of the edifice's stones were used to build a basilica to commemorate the three martyrs. Tombs were excavated in the arena and funerary mausoleums were annexed to the church. The Islamic invasion of Spain started a period of abandon of the area, which lasted until the 12th century, when a church was built over the remains of the Visigothic church, in Romanesque style. This was demolished in 1915.

Building Activity

  • Toni Smith
    Toni Smith commented
    Muy bonito en un marco incomparable de la ciudad. Lastima que no se haya conservado mejor. Patrimonio mundial de la humanidad
    about 6 years ago via Mobile
  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com