T-House, Kv. Sparbössan
T-house, Kv. Sparbössan Client Humlegården Fastigheter AB Architect Tengbom Year of Commission 2006 - 2009 Value Base building 45 million SEK Entrance 6 million SEK Project area: Total 1 725 m², expansion and renovation. Responsible Base Building, expansion and renovation Architect Henrik Tilja SAR/MSA Responsible Entrance, interior renovation Architect Josef Zetterman SIR/MSA Background The building was originally drawn by the Architect Erik Lallerstedt and built for Svenska Lifförsäkringsanstalten Trygg 1907 - 10 and represents an unusual mix (for that time) of residential and office. The building consisted of approx. 9 200 m² where approx. 800 m² was residential and approx. 1 500 m² was storage. The building has been renovated and expanded between the years 1930 and 1940. The building volume consists of five main levels with two attic levels. Connecting streets create a smaller courtyard. The ground level accommodates in certain areas a mezzanine level. The courtyard opens towards Rimbogatan (Rimbo Street). The residential section of the building is located at the North end at Birger Jarlsgatan 32B (Birger Jarl’s Street). The office section which is a V shape with legs is located at Birger Jarlsgatan and Engelbrektsgatan-Rimbogatan (Engelbrekt’s Street-Rimbo Street). The office section was see as inefficient because of long travel distances and an unclear relationship with the residential stair well and entrance. The building has its roots in both Romantic Nationalism and Art Nouveau styles. The elevations are done in patterned Helsingborgstegel (Helsingborg brick) and on the ground level in Hunnebostrandsgranit (Hunnebostrand’s granite). Under the enclosed courtyard a glass covered hall for a large office space was built. During this expansion an additional attic level was built. The roof was clad in copper and the tower had a large windows put in it facing the courtyard. The window is checker patterned and the elevation has a bay, wrought iron railings and inset tiles. Because of the buildings cultural and historical significance it is heritage classified. Base building, expansion and renovation The expansion and renovation project that started 2006 solves original inherent logistical problems. A new daylight filled, spacious stair well with glazed elevators and light stairs is centrally located and connects the building vertically. A gangway hung from the roof connects both sides of the stairwell and adds an additional 1 425 m² of rental space or three tenants. The stairwell roof spans free over the courtyard. Elevations and the gangway are held up by thin columns next to the existing brick wall. The original V shaped floors plans are ended with a link building at the North East end. Travel distance is reduced and new office area with high ceilings is created at an idea location between the inner and outer courtyards. The building is supported by “T” columns tied back to brick walls; beams span free over the room and carry the thin floor slabs which cantilever towards the glazed elevations. A pyramid shaped skylight crowns the old trading hall which is restored by demolishing the later built mezzanine on either side and by the restoration of the green tiled columns. The roof is clad with grooved copper carefully crafted and tapped to match the existing adjacent building. Elevations are glass and copper. The existing building’s irregular charm, precious materials and exclusive detailing have been sources of inspiration in our pursuit to give the building the respect it deserves. We believe the architect Erik Lallerstedt would have wanted it that way. Entrance, interior renovation The project description was to create a conference level and lobby of international standard that provides good service and accessibility for all building tenants and guests. The entrance is heritage classified so any changes have been checked and approved by a certified antiquarian. The original entrance gives a grand palace like impression and is filled with hard materials with bad acoustic qualities. The challenge was to create a warm and modern inviting environment. The colours used in the floors and walls are cold. To warm up the room specially patterned rugs on the stairs and specially shaped rugs in the lobby were used. The colours in the pattern offer warmth and help with acoustics. To further help with acoustics insulation, acoustical plaster and fillets matching originals were applied to the ceiling. The application of acoustical plaster allowed for the installation of conduit. The conduit is needed to service the reception. The front of the reception has a transparent colour filter that creates patterns in different colours. Above the reception hangs a vertical sound absorbing light fixture. The stair guard is equipped with a counter, bar table, magazine holder, book self and electrical receptacles. The conference audio/visual wall is free standing and connects to the ceiling. The white wall surfaces of the conference room are equipped with draperies made from velvet and linen for screening and shading.

Media

11 photos and 9 drawings

Building Activity

  • Anastasia Kolos
    Anastasia Kolos updated
    about a year ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova updated 36 media and updated
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com