Sutton Court
Sutton Court, Stowey, also known as Stowey Court, is a large English house built on the site of a fourteenth century castle, with sections built in the fifteenth and sixteenth century. It is in the area of North Somerset, in an area now part of Bath and North East Somerset, near to the villages of Bishop Sutton and Stowey.

Construction
Sutton Court is built of squared and coursed sandstone rubble throughout with freestone and ashlar dressings, copings, slate roofs. The north front comprises a central three storey fourteenth century pele tower with a taller circular stair turret and two storey ranges linking it to the 1558 'Bess of Hardwick Building' to the left and a four bay 1858-1860 servants' wing of three storeys to the right. Windows to pele tower and right hand linking range are 15th century of two cusped lights with hoodmoulds, some of which have been renewed, and some relocated from other areas. The doorway to the tower daqtes from 1858-60. The windows to the left hand linking range and 'Hardwick Building' are four and six light chamfered mullions. The two storey 'Hardwick' range has diagonal offset buttresses. There are eighteenth century battlements to the pele tower, with tall octagonal ashlar stacks. The manor was built by William de Sutton for Elizabeth Hardwick. Lady St. Loe owned it in 1558 and the Wyatt restoration and rebuilding was carried out for Sir Edward Strachey.

History
Wade and Wade in their 1929 book "Somerset" suggest that Bishop Hooper found asylum here during the Marian Persecutions, around 1550. John Hooper Anglican Bishop of Gloucester and Worcester was concealed in the house in the 1550s. About 1558 (former date on a fireplace) Bess of Hardwick and her third husband Sir William St Loe added a north east wing with a parlour and chapel, which includes Tudor buttresses. The house was then left to her son Charles Cavendish, but later the property passed to the Strachey family. From about 1650-1700 it was the seat of Richard Jones and his son Sir William Jones, the Attorney General of England. Around 1800 it was the seat of the Strachey family including Richard Strachey and his brother John Strachey who entertained John Locke. Henry Strachey, the 2nd Baronet, became High Sheriff of Somerset in 1832. Much of the house was remodelled in 1858 by Thomas Henry Wyatt. Life at Sutton Court has been described by John St. Loe Strachey in his autobiographical book The Adventure of Living in 1922.

Listed building
It is a Grade II* listed building. A curtain wall to north of Sutton Court with a gazebo is also listed. as is the lodge.

Current usage
The building is now private apartments set in eight acres (3 ha) of communal grounds, including a trout lake and tennis court. It is run by a management company made up of the residents.