Surratt House MuseumEdit profile
The Surratt House (or Mary Surratt House) is a historic home located at 9110 Brandywine Road in Clinton, Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. It is a two story 19th century wood frame structure with clapboarding. The plan is rectangular, with a gabled roof, interior chimneys, wrap-around hip roofed porch with decorative brackets, and center door with side lights and transom. There is a one and one-half story southeast wing, which is a replacement constructed in the 1980s. The original structure was built as a middle-class plantation home in 1852. In the late 1960s, the Surratt House building was donated to the Maryland -National Capital Park and Planning Commission by long time Clinton residents, Mr and Mrs. B.K. Miller. The house was restored in 1976 by the M-NCPPC. The home was owned by Mary Surratt, who was convicted and hanged for complicity in plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. It also served as an arms and ammunition stop for John Wilkes Booth during his flight from Ford’s Theater after shooting Lincoln. The Surratt House Museum is a museum located at the historic site and operated by the Surratt Society. It is devoted to mid-19th century Maryland life and the Abraham Lincoln assassination, especially related conspiracy theories. The James O. Hall Research Center is located there. The Surratt House Museum was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.