Sulhamstead is a village, electoral district (ward) and civil parish in Berkshire, England. It lies off the A4 national route between Reading and Thatcham, some 74 km (46 miles) west of central London.

It is located at grid reference SU632687 , in the district of West Berkshire. Prior to 1782, the area consisted of two ecclesiastical parishes, Sulhamstead Abbots and Sulhamstead Bannister, based on the ancient manors. It is bounded by Burghfield Parish to the East, and Ufton Nervet Parish to the West. It also borders Englefield parish to the North and Stratfield Mortimer Parish to the South There are three centres of population in Sulhamstead. The greatest number of houses stand on Sulhamstead Hill which runs from the top of the hill by Ufton Church down to the water meadows by the Kennet and the Bath Road (A4). The other two centres are Sulhamstead Abbots and Sulhamstead Bannister with other residences scattered about the parish. Sulhamstead Abbots Church, St.Mary's, to the south, is now the parish church. Sulhamstead Bannister consists of two detached regions, "Upper End" and "Lower End". The former lies between Wokefield and Grazeley, although this has since been absorbed into Wokefield civil parish. The core of its village was around the old demolished church, where the inventor Samuel Morland's father was once the vicar. Currently , Sulhamstead is partly in the Newbury constituency for House of Commons general elections, however the Boundary Commission has recommended that it be moved completely into the Wokingham constituency to bring the size of the electorate of Newbury closer to the national average.

The name Sulhamstead (there is no 'p' in middle) means 'Narrow Valley Homestead' and was given to the area by the first Saxon settlers. There is supposed to have been a Danish Camp of some sort there during the troubled times just before and during King Alfred's reign. . Banister was the name of the Lords of the Manor from the early 12th century. They were still holding lands here three hundred years later, and had another important manor in Finchampstead. The Upper End was, however, often called Meales and Meales Farm, a reputed manor, stands next to the site of Sulhamstead Bannister’s Church of St. Michael from which its name derives.

Buildings and structures

Sulhamstead House
Sulhamstead House, commonly known as the White House, was the manor house of Sulhamstead Abbots. It was built by Daniel May, son of the Basingstoke brewer, Charles May, in 1744. His sister's descendants, the Thoyts family, resided there for many years. The house was largely rebuilt in 1800 for William Thoyts, the High Sheriff of Berkshire. It was the childhood home of his great granddaughter, the famous Berkshire historian and palaeography expert, Emma Elizabeth Thoyts (1860”“1949). In 1949, the house became the headquarters of the Berkshire Constabulary. Since the merger of the local county forces to form the Thames Valley Police, it has functioned as that force's training centre and houses the Thames Valley Police Museum. It is a Grade II listed building.

Folly Farm
Sulhamstead is the location of Folly Farm.Originally the main house comprised a timber-framed cottage which is believed to date back to around 1650 which was gradually enlarged into a farm house and now survives as the north-east wing of the present house. The house was transformed, in 1906, by Edwin Lutyens into a country house for H H Cochrane. It was extended, again by Lutyens, for Zachery Merton, six years later. It is one of Lutyens' best-known house designs. Lutyens collaborated with Gertrude Jekyll in designing the very fine garden. Folly Farm is Grade I listed and is an exceptional example of the continuation of classical and Arts and Craft architecture.

Other buildings
The church of St Mary (formerly St Bartholomew) dates from the 13th century and is Grade I listed. The village hall for Sulhamstead and Ufton is situated halfway down Sulhamstead Hill. It was built in 1927 and has been recently refurbished. To the North of Sulhamstead, and close to the village is Sulhamstead Lock, Tyle Mill and Tyle Mill Lock on the Kennet & Avon Canal, where there is a wharf, lock and swing bridge. The world-renowned singer and musician Kate Bush resides close to the mill.

Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 5 years ago via