Suffield and Thompsonville BridgeEdit profile
The Suffield and Thompsonville Bridge was a 5-span iron truss bridge over the Connecticut River located between present day Suffield, Connecticut and Thompsonville, Connecticut (Enfield). It connected Burbank Avenue in Suffield with Main Street in Thompsonville. Its four stone piers still stand today.History
In 1889 the Suffield and Thompsonville Bridge Company was granted a charter to construct an iron bridge across the Connecticut River between Thompsonville and Suffield. They owned the bridge.
- Iron Contractor: The Berlin Iron Bridge Company of Berlin, Connecticut
- Stone Contractor: O.W. Weand of Reading, PA
- First toll-taker: Nathan Hemenway
- Tolls: three cents for pedestrians, twelve cents for single teams and fifteen cents for double teams.
Not shown in the image was a walkway on the south (downstream) side of the bridge. Very popular for shad fishing.