Sudbury Hill is a London Underground station on the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly Line in Sudbury / Greenford, in northwest London. The station is between Sudbury Town and South Harrow. The station is in Travelcard Zone 4. It is located on Greenford Road north of the junction with Whitton Avenue, in the London Borough of Harrow. About 200 m to the north is Sudbury Hill Harrow National Rail station.

Sudbury Hill station was opened on 28 June 1903 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) on its new extension to South Harrow from Park Royal & Twyford Abbey. This new extension was, together with the existing tracks back to Acton Town, the first section of the Underground's surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains. The Deep level tube lines open at that time ( City & South London Railway, Waterloo & City Railway and Central London Railway) had been electrically powered from the start. The original station building was demolished in 1930 and 1931 and replaced by a new station in preparation for the handover of the branch from the District Line to the Piccadilly Line. The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Like the stations at Sudbury Town and Alperton to the south as well as others that Holden designed elsewhere for the east and west Piccadilly Line extensions such as Acton Town and Oakwood, Sudbury Hill station features a tall block-like ticket hall rising above a low horizontal structure that contains station facilities and shops. The brick walls of the ticket hall are punctuated with panels of clerestory windows and the structure is capped with a flat concrete slab roof. On 4 July 1932 the Piccadilly Line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District Line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District Line was replaced by the Piccadilly Line.

The typical off-peak service is a train in each direction every ten minutes. Half of northbound trains terminate at Rayners Lane tube station and the other half continue to the terminus of the line at Uxbridge.

Transport links
London bus routes 92 and H17.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via