Straitsmouth Island LightEdit profile
The Straitsmouth Island Light is a lighthouse located on Straitsmouth Island, in Rockport, Massachusetts. The original tower was built in 1835, and replaced by a second tower in 1896. It was automated in 1967, and is still in operation. The United States Coast Guard Light List description is "White cylindrical tower". The actual light is 46 feet (14 meters) above Mean High Water. The Light List name is "Straightsmouth Light", but the island is "Straitsmouth Island" on NOAA charts.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Straitsmouth Island Light, reference number 87001487, on June 15, 1987.
Straitsmouth Island was owned for many years by the naval architect William Francis Gibbs and his wife, New York socialite and opera supporter, Vera Cravath Gibbs.
The island was left to the Massachusetts Audubon Society following the Gibbses' deaths in the 1960s.