Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters MuseumEdit profile
The Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum was an antebellum home owned by Lieutenant Colonel Lewis Tilghman Moore, commander of the 31st Virginia Militia. Later, while commanding the 4th Virginia Infantry, Colonel Moore offered his home at 415 North Braddock Street, Winchester, Virginia, USA, to serve as the headquarters for Confederate Major General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.History
Jackson lived in the home from November 1861 to March 1862, and was joined by his wife, Mary Anna, in December 1861. Jackson arrived shortly after taking command of the new Valley District of the Department of Northern Virginia. From this location, Jackson planned his Shenandoah Valley defenses and campaigns, starting with the Romney Expedition.
The home is a gothic revival style cottage built in 1854 for William Fuller, was named "Alta Vista", and had a beautiful view over open hillsides facing east across Winchester. While living here, the Jacksons became very fond of the people and culture of Winchester, and referred to it as their "winter home", hoping to settle here after the American Civil War. In the 1960s the home was purchased and converted into a museum, and includes many possessions and artifacts belonging to Stonewall Jackson. In a letter to Mary, Stonewall Jackson commented:
One of Colonel Moore's descendants is actress Mary Tyler Moore, who has helped pay for restorations of the home for the museum - including replica wallpaper matching the original to which Jackson referred.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967.