Stoke Newington Town HallEdit profile
Stoke Newington Town Hall was built in 1935-37 by the architect J. Reginald Truelove following an open competition held by the Stoke Newington Metropolitan Borough Council.
The competition was for designs to extend the existing public library, which was originally built in 1890 by Bridgman & Goss and later extended in 1905 to take advantage of a very prominent site that once accommodated the 15th century Manor House.
Designed in an English Renaissance style, the buildings were fitted out in art deco (the style of the time). The building is a lasting reminder of Stoke Newington’s great civic pride in its status as a Metropolitan borough.
The grand opening was on 27 September 1937 by the Lord Mayor of London, with music performed by the Band of the Welsh Guards.