Stock Windmill
Stock Windmill is a grade II* listed Tower mill at Stock, Essex, England which has been restored.

History
Stock Windmill was built c1816 joining an existing post mill. In 1845, a second post mill was moved to a site close by. By 1862, the mill had four shuttered sails. The two post mills were demolished c1890, about which time the millstones were moved down a floor and the drive converted from underdrift to overdrift. A steam engine was added in 1902 and the mill was working by wind until 1930 and afterwards by an internal combustion engine until c1936. The mill was bought by Essex County Council in 1945 and although preserved, by 1977 it was without the fantail and associated supporting timbers. and down to only one pair of sails. Major repairs were started in 1991 by Vincent Pargeter. A grant from English Heritage part-funded the work. The Friends of Stock Mill were formed in 1993 on completion of the restoration.

Description
Stock Windmill is a five storey tower mill with four single Patent sails It has a boat shaped cap winded by a six bladed fantail. The tower is 20 feet 6 inches (6.25 m) internal diameter at ground level and 12 feet 6 inches (3.81 m) internal diameter at curb level. The walls are 22 inches (560 mm) thick to first floor level and 18 inches (460 mm) thick above that. The tower is 40 feet (12.19 m) high overall and the mill is 52 feet (15.85 m) to the top of the cap. As built, the mill had a stage at first floor level, four Common sails and was winded by hand. It originally drove two pairs of overdrift millstones. The cast iron windshaft was probably not made for the mill originally. It carries a 9 feet 4 inches (2.84 m) diameter composite brake wheel with 81 cogs which has been converted from clasp arm construction. This drives a cast iron wallower with 25 teeth. The cast iron upright shaft is 5 inches (130 mm) diameter and in three parts, with dog clutches at the fourth and fifth floor. The cast iron great spur wheel is 5 feet (1.52 m) diameter with 76 cogs. It drove three pairs of underdrift millstones of 5 feet (1.52 m), 4 feet 7 inches (1.40 m) and 4 feet (1.22 m) diameter.

Millers
  • William Moss Sr 1816 ”“
  • William (Jr) & John Moss ”“ 1838
  • William Moss Jr ”“ 1853
  • John Pertwee 1863”“1866
  • Joseph Clover 1870”“1890
  • Mary Clover 1894”“1898
  • William Mayes 1902”“1917
  • Frank Semmens 1926”“1929
References for above:-

Public access
Stock Windmill is open on the second Sunday of the month between April and September.