Station 28 Minneapolis Fire DepartmentEdit profile
Station 28 of the Minneapolis Fire Department is a fire station at 2724 West 43rd Street in the Linden Hills neighborhood of Minneapolis, Minnesota. The station was built in 1914, during a time when the population of Minneapolis was growing rapidly. The Linden Hills neighborhood was evolving from a remote lakeside community to a neighborhood fully integrated into the city. This period of expansion also saw the construction of Lake Harriet Public School in 1898, city sewers in 1905, and Linden Hills Community Library in 1911. The station was the second-to-last station originally built by the city, and it was the first to be designed solely for motorized equipment. The earlier horse-drawn rigs required more space and time, as well as upkeep for the horses. Motorized fire engines were less expensive and more efficient, and they were able to cover more territory with a decreased response time. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. The building has since been converted to office space, while Station 28 is now housed in a building at 2810 West 50th Street. For at least the past four years, there has been a restaurant, Cafe 28, located on the street level of this building.