Stansbury HallEdit profile
Stansbury Hall, named after Harry Stansbury (died 1966), former WVU Athletic Director , is a building on the Downtown Campus of West Virginia University. Opened in 1929 as the WVU Field House, just to the southwest of "Old" Mountaineer Field, this was the home of WVU basketball until 1970, when the WVU Coliseum was opened. This was the home floor during the days of Hot Rod Hundley and Jerry West. It hosted the Southern Conference men's basketball tournament in 1953.
Today the building is the home of the Philosophy Departments, the Program for Humanities, the Program for Religious Studies, the WVU Press, the Center for Civic Engagement, and the Office of International Programs. Army and Air Force ROTC programs are also housed here. Stansbury's present use also retains some vestige of its athletic history; the remaining arena floor is often used by intramural and "pickup" soccer and basketball games, while a gymnasium offering personal-training services is housed elsewhere in the building.