Stanley Dock is a dock, on the River Mersey, England and part of the Port of Liverpool. It is situated in the Vauxhall area of Liverpool and is part of the northern dock system. The dock is connected to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal to the east and Collingwood Dock to the west. Designed by Jesse Hartley, it opened in 1848. The original warehouses are of a similar design to those at Albert Dock and are grade II* listed buildings. Part of the northern warehouse was demolished after sustaining damage in an air raid during the Second World War. The large Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse was built in 1901 on the in-filled south half of the dock and is a grade II listed building. The dock is the focal point of the Stanley Dock Conservation Area. In 2006, work commenced on a £20 million extension of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, providing a further 1.4 miles of navigable waterway towards the Pier Head. As of March 2007, plans have been unveiled for the warehouses to be redeveloped into office space and a total of 930 apartments. The plans involve digging out the centre of the tobacco warehouse to create a garden-filled courtyard. The site featured as part of the Most Haunted Live! Liverpool investigation in January 2009.