Stancliffe Hall
Stancliffe Hall is a grade II Listed building on Whitworth Road in the settlement of Darley Dale, near Matlock, Derbyshire.

Early history
In 1817, Magna Britannia reported that Herbert Greensmith Beard was living there in 1792 when he passed on manuscripts from the Columbell family which were made for Roger Columbell of Darley Hall who died in 1605 (which confirm the Magna Britannia version). That document records that Herbert Greensmith sold the hall in 1799 to William Heathcote for ten and a half thousand pounds. Heathcote was then in Batavia in the colony of Demarara. Heathcote's brother, John Heathcote and his family were living there in 1817. John died unmarried on 13 January 1821 aged 72 and left the Hall to his nephew Andrew Heathcote Shepley. Andrew changed his name to Andrew Heathcote Heathcote and was the principal owner of land in Darley holding 550 acres (2.2 km 2).

Whitworth
Stancliffe Hall was bought in 1854 and again built, of stone, by the engineer Joseph Whitworth in the Tudor style. He and his wife moved into the Hall in 1870 when Whitworth had largely retired and was using his energies to direct the quarrying of stone from Whitworths quarry. The gardens were designed by Edward Milner. A noted feature was the rockery, which Sir Joseph Whitworth had constructed out of a sandstone quarry. It is reputed that Joseph Whitworth's wife died in an accident in a lift in the house. In 1891, the hall was the property of Lady Whitworth, but it was occupied by Alfred Clay.

Stancliffe Hall School
Early in the 1900s, the site became a private school with many members coming to the school from Llandaff in Wales. The school was founded by the Rev. Ernest Owen who had been the headmaster of Llandaff School. Owen was renowneed as an outstanding headmaster who believed in honour and that no boy ever left his schools.

Noted students and staff
  • Pete Atkin taught here briefly in 1964
  • Ken Wiwa, journalist went here aged 10.


In literature and film
The hall was mentioned briefly in An Elegy written in 1672 by Leonard Wheatcroft. More recently after Stancliffe Hall School closed in 2001 the site was used to film Stig of the Dump which was released in 2002.