Stadion na KantridiEdit profile
Stadion Kantrida is a football stadium in the Croatian city of Rijeka. It is named after the Kantrida neighborhood in which it is located, in the western part of the city. It has served as home of the football club NK Rijeka since 1946. The stadium has a distinctive appearance as it is situated between steep cliffs just north of the stadium and the shore of the Adriatic on its south side. Since 1990 the venue is also occasionally used for Croatia national football team's international friendlies. The stadium has a seated capacity of 10,600.History
The location was used as a stone quarry before the first football ground was created on the site in 1911 by HŠK Victoria, a football club based in Sušak (presently part of Rijeka; but at the time a separate town east of the city), and the first football match played at Kantrida was held in 1912, a friendly between Victoria and Građanski Zagreb.
Victoria continued to use the stadium until the end of World War I and the collapse of Austria-Hungary in 1918. The city of Rijeka was then first declared part of the Italian Regency of Carnaro (1919–1920), then the Free State of Fiume (1920–1924), before being formally annexed by Kingdom of Italy in 1924, which remained unchanged until the end of World War II. During this period between 1919 and 1945 Victoria's home town of Sušak was located on the other side of the border as it was incorporated into the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, so the club was unable to use the ground.
In 1925 the 8,000 capacity stands were built by the newly established local Italian club U.S. Fiumana who went on to use the stadium between 1926 and 1945 while competing in the Italian league system. The stadium was at the time known as Stadio Comunale del Littorio.
After World War II the city of Rijeka and its surrounding area became part of SFR Yugoslavia and both Fiumana and Victoria were dissolved in 1945. A new club called NK Kvarner was established in 1946 to replace them and they immediately took over the stadium. The club continued to use it after they changed their name to NK Rijeka in 1954 and it served as their home ground until the present day.
The stadium was renovated twice, in 1951 and 1958. It formerly had a capacity of 25,000, but this was later reduced to around 10,000 (due to the gradual evolution of UEFA safety standards) and floodlights were installed in 1975.
In addition to hosting NK Rijeka matches, the stadium is also used for the annual Kvarner Riviera international youth football tournament, first held in 1953.