Staatstheater StuttgartEdit profile
The Staatstheater Stuttgart (Stuttgart National Theatre) is an opera house in Stuttgart, Germany. It is also known locally as the Grosses Haus, having been the larger of two theatres of the former Königliche Hoftheater.
Designed by the noted Munich architect, Max Littmann, who won a competition to create new royal theatres, it was constructed between 1909 and 1912 as the Königliche Hoftheater, a royal theatre of the Kingdom of Württemberg with a Grosses Haus and a Kleines Haus.
In 1919 the theatres were renamed the Landestheater, and later, the Staatstheater. The Small House was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War and, today, the site is occupied by a new Kleines Haus ,which opened in 1962.
The Grosses Haus is the only major German opera house to survive the bombing of the Second World War. Between 1982 and 1984, extensive renovations restored it to its original condition and it now seats 1,399.
The theatre is presently the home of the Staatsoper Stuttgart.