St Stephen's Church, BathEdit profile
St Stephen's Church is a church in Bath, Somerset England.
Designed to serve the spiritual needs of northeast Bath by James Wilson and built between 1840-1845, from Bath Stone a limestone sourced from the Limpley Stoke mine which is situated in the Limpley Stoke Valley.
St Stephen's Church on Lansdown Road in Walcot cost £6,000. The constructed church, however, remained unconsecrated until 1881. For the Royal School, a northeast aisle was added in 1866, thought to be designed by the Wilson & Willcox firm.
The very wide apsidal chancel with the vestry and organ chamber was built by W. J. Willcox built in 1882-1883, for £3,000. W. J. Willcox also designed the painted ceiling in 1886, which was executed by H. & F. Davis.
The Lady Chapel's east stained glass window was completed in 1983 by Mark Angus: "'Centenary,' depicting St Stephen’s transformation, on the bridge between life and death to the moment of martyrdom. With distorted ambiguity between pain and repose, the body rises amid red flames on a blue ground." The Gothicised font and font cover are Marble and dated 1843. The c.1900 transept ceiling and reredos are by Sir T. G. Jackson.
The crypt was converted into a community centre in 1993-1994 by Slade, Smith and Winrow. In 2007 the tower stonework was restored and the church bells replaced. Modern exterior floodlighting, replacing a less efficient previous system, was installed.